Saturday, October 28, 2017

Online textbooks

Pedagogy is a pendulum and I'm currently looking for balance. My students have become worn out automatons thanks in large part to the new online textbook we are using this year. This is actually no fault of the textbook; in fact if I'm going to point the finger at anyone (or anything) it has to be myself.

It's easy to get caught up overusing a textbook, especially as I'm finding myself caught in a paradox. Although no one has explicitly dictated to our staff the expectation of textbook use, I have obligated myself to use this expensive tool almost exhaustively. It feels almost disrespectful not to, like putting that sweater from Grandma in the Goodwill drop.


On the other hand, the fluid majority of my PLN bangs the "no textbook" drum incessantly. I agree pedagogically, but there's pressure from the top (or from within, or whatever) to stick with it. The point is: it's a close call. There are benefits and challenges to each method, and as is often the case, an equilibrium is in order.

Let me say: there is a lot to like about this particular textbook. For one, it's completely online, which is useful in a new 1:1 environment. Every standard is addressed and yadda yadda yadda if you want to hear more, talk to our textbook liaison. I'm sure she is talking it up right now.

Anyway, I can say empirically that the kids are exhausted from their textbook, and it's still October. I ventured into it with the supposition that I would supplement it with enough material to keep it interesting, but I have a tendency to over explore, often at the expense of student interest. This leads to the search for balance. Instead of supplementing textbooks with fun stuff, I'm finding it more helpful to see the textbook as a supplement (albeit an expensive one) to everything else. Will students students miss out on a lot of the textbook's lessons? Of course.
But there are just too many good lessons losing out to textbook material.

I'm leaning toward scrapping the current unit, and moving on to one with more exciting texts and themes, but relying on the textbook for only close reads and supplemental lessons when necessary. Let me know your thoughts and experiences with textbooks in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment